Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gluten Free Cold Veggie Pizza Made Easy


Yes, I design graphic t-shirts but I am also allergic to gluten and it can really stink sometimes and I want to share some recipes as I develop them so they are written in a place I won't lose them, and to share with everyone else out there!

Cold Veggie Pizza (Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza)

Crust:

1 Box Hodgsen Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust (all the ingredients listed on box)
2-3 TBS of Butter / Margarine Melted
1/3 Cup of Sugar (I would think Splenda or artificial sweetner would work as well)

Topping:

1 8oz. Packet of Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise OR Sour Cream (I use Hellmans Mayo)
2 TBS Minced Onions (optional - for extra flavor)
1 Dry Packet of Ranch or Vegetable Dip (Make Sure it is Gluten Free)

Diced vegetables of your choice (broccoli, carrots, peppers, mushrooms...)
Shredded Cheese of your choice

13" x 9" Cookie Sheet or Two Round Pizza Pans - Generously Greased
Saran Wrap

First, pre-heat the oven as directed on the Hodgsen Mill GF Pizza Crust box and set the yeast in the hot water (if you are allergic to yeast, you can omit it - I don't think it will make much of a difference from my experience). Beat the eggs, water, melted butter, oil, as directed on box. Add sugar to dry mixture and mix it together, slowly add wet ingredients as directed - the dough should be "bouncy" but sticky.

GENEROUSLY grease a 13" x 9" pan (or equivalent) and plop the blob of dough right in the middle. Cover the whole thing with saran wrap and slowly push the dough ball into the pan until it reaches all of the edges. (If you have the yeast added, once you have it spread out leave it covered with saran wrap as directed on box to rise). Bake as directed on box - NOTE: I did this two ways, the first time I left the dough light colored, but cooked through and it came out fine, the second time I let it bake golden brown and I may not have greased the pan enough (it stuck a little) and it was dryer, but had more flavor - the crust will become slightly dry once you cool it either way.

Fully cool the crust once you have baked it to the desired amount. Mix the cream cheese & mayo (or sour cream) and add the dry ranch or vegetable dip mix to taste (not all packets are the same size - be careful not to add it all if it is a big packet it will come out too strong). I blended it with a mixer so it was smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Dice your veggies and sprinkle them on top along with shredded cheese, use as much or as little as you would like, if you aren't sure, just dice a little and you need more you can always dice up some more (this isn't rocket science at this point). You can immediately serve or chill.

I use Hodgsen Mill GF Pizza Crust because the base flavor is very mild and it was not too dry, crumbly or greasy. Other mixes I have used were too starchy, bitter, or would not hold well. This is great for kids, and honestly the flavor wasn't too different than using the crescent roll crust. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment